Saturday 14 March 2009

Tips for the weekend

I have finally found the time during a hectic schedule this week, in which I have been editing the Preston Journal newspaper on my journalism course, to update this blog.

While some wonderful, albeit weird, dancing is taking place on BBC for the Comic Relief Cause, blogging makes a welcome break from the monotony of the depressing appeals, and I am allowed to say that because I have sent the text message pledging a fiver to the cause.

It has been an exciting few days in football: Manchester United beat Inter at Old Trafford before Jose Mourinho 'hit' the headlines for an alleged scuffle with a United fan; Arsenal made it a double for English teams over Italians after an epic penalty shoot-out; Chelsea made a fine hat-trick by beating Juventus; and Liverpool, the exception, both in their inferiors' home country and in how impressive the result was, accomplished an astounding four-nil victory over Real Madrid.

And the excitement does not stop there. Many will be looking forward to the first versus third clash between Man United and Liverpool respectively, but my excitement comes in League Two, where the team I support, Wycombe, take on Brentford, in a second versus first clash.

Painstakingly, I will miss the match, but I will be reporting at Bamber Bridge, who are hosting Garforth Town, in hope of sustaining a play-off place in the Unibond First Division North.

Here are the results I predict for the weekend:

Grimsby were on fire with a 5-1 win against Lincoln last week, and they should beat mediocre Chester away. Expect another stuffing

Leyton Orient have done well away recently in League One and Stockport's Jim Gannon was concerned about playing slick football on home turf during the week, so an away victory could be on the cards

I am utterly convinced that Manchester United will beat Liverpool at Old Trafford

Peterborough have been in blinding form and they will beat Northampton in League One

Leeds have won their previous five at home, so they will see off lowly Swindon Town

And finally, my headline of the day is a story about French footballing legend Zinedine Zidane recommending Liverpool's Steven Gerrard as the the best footballer in the world. It reads, 'GERRARD IS ZZ' TOP'.

Let the weekend commence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

web stats tracking